Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rudolph's Message

Hello Everyone!
I love Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer even more than I did before our lesson today.  Today as we were reviewing the story, we began to see a clear picture of the author's message. Here's our brainstorming anchor chart.
I am so proud of this group of firsties.  They have really begun to see stories as more than just stories. They are thinking more deeply into comprehension and connection. Keep diving kids!!
Our next connection to Rudolph was to express our thoughts about the message through a craft connection. 
I initially wanted to use this craft for a retelling, but it went perfectly with what we worked on today.  The kids had to write in their own words, what they thought was the most important message from Rudolph (and the author, of course).  They cut out their writing, added a Rudolph cover complete with a shiny nose, a title, and alas! A quick reader's response!

 (Conventions in writing are works in progress.  We did not edit before creating the connection response.)
We then, desperately needed to become the character!  We cut out our antlers, glued them to a headband, and added a red nose!!  We want to be like Rudolph!!


We'll all go down in history!

I had one little guy tell me that he wasn't washing his nose off until next October.  He was going to be Rudolph for Halloween!! :)

The patterns for both these activities are in my Reindeer Games unit.You can get that freebie here! Click!

Tomorrow? Yes, we will still be in school tomorrow.  So many fun things to do yet!!! 
Till then, have a wonder-filled evening!!
Joyfully!
Nancy


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I love the unit. I can't wait until next year to try it!
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful messages that the kids learned. I so believe in teaching to the heart, not just the head. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so much fun looking through your sight and finding fun ideas to take back to my class! Your willingness to share is awesome and what makes teaching such an inspiring job! Thank you, you are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!