Monday, May 27, 2013

All Of Our Noses Are Here!

Hello Everyone!
We have 8 days left in the school year.  As I work on my End Of Year DVD for my sweeties, I can't help but realize that so many pictures I've captured this year are of my kids reading...noses in books!! I strive to incorporate as much "nose time" as I can throughout our learning day.  "Nose time" does not include teacher directed activities, reader's response activities, or worksheets! It includes kids with books in hands and noses in books! :) 60-90 minutes!  Research tells us that there is no substitute for real reading if we want our kids to grow as readers, writers, thinkers, talkers, and communicators!
 I also noticed that those noses were in lots of different comfortable places.  When you think about your own reading, you read best when you are comfortable. Right??? I love to snuggle up with a book in my oversized leather chair. (Or on a beach towel with my toes in the sand!) It is amazing how you can drift away with a book when you are comfortable!! I let my kids sit anywhere when reading independently. They do get creative!!
Today I'm sharing a couple of mini posters to help motivate you and your kids to have lots of "Nose Time!"






Reading in the tub!!!  Rub-a-dub-dub!




We love to read outside!!






 Any way you like it!!


Even under your desk!

Find your cozy spot and get your nose in a book!!

Joyfully!
Nancy

9 comments:

  1. I love your posters! I wish the powers that be would look at our schedule and see we need more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nancy, Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful units! You are truly one of the most gracious and generous teachers on my "blog roll" list! This is my 29th year teaching. I was a kindergarten teacher for 28 years and my principal placed me in first grade this year!! The combination of a different grade along with how much schools, in general, are changing made it a year full of new ideas!
    I just had to tell you how much you've blessed me with your creativity and your love for children!
    -Mark 9:36-37
    He put a child in the room. Then Jesus said,
    "Whoever embraces one of these children as I do--
    embraces Me and far more than Me--
    also the God who has sent me."
    I can tell, by reading your blog, that you are an extraordinary teacher. The children are blessed to be in your class.

    There are only a select few that I've ever worked with or have met that love their job as a teacher as much as I do!! I believe you do!

    Even though I've been a teacher so long, I still love to look for new ideas, extra special techniques and unique ways of teaching! Since discovering your blog my first graders have enjoyed your "Teeth" unit--we loved the book!! (a great comparison of fiction vs non-fiction!) , the "Fish" unit, and the "Measuring Worm" unit....so far!

    I believe that you will be blessed for being such a blessing to others! Your units could, easily, be posted on TPT and sell readily! I like shopping on TPT but can only do so near my payday. Oftentimes I will put a product on my "Wish List" until I get paid. Thus, my thankfulness to you, for not having to put your awesome ideas on a "wish list"!!

    1 Timothy 6:17-19

    "Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds,
    and to be generous and willing to share."

    Thank You for sharing!!

    1 Peter 4:10

    Each one of you should use whatever gift he has received to
    serve others
    as good stewards of God's varied grace."

    I hope this comment is not too long to fit in this comment box!! I really wanted you to know that you are glorifying the Lord in all your kindhearted and generous ways!! God Bless You! Kelly Turk
    kelly.turk@browardschools.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      Thank you so much for your comments! My heart is smiling big time!! I do feel blessed to have this amazing opportunity to teach our little ones!!
      N

      Delete
  3. How sweet! It is so cute to see how and where kids will read. Thank you so much for the cute posters. I can't wait to print them off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing! i love this ! cpbay.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute posters! I am having a “Tour My Blog” linky party...stop by and link up! It is a great way for bloggers and their viewers to learn about your blog! I would love for you to join me!

    Brigid
    Bits of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a must do! I mean children should be firmly encouraged to read, read and read a lot! It’s for their own benefit and use, too! Anyway, thanks a lot for this wonderful blog post. It’s really interesting and a part of me is very happy with those awesome kids.

    Jeana Richard from Online PhD UK

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!