Saturday, January 11, 2014

We Heart Worms!

Hello Everyone!
"This is the best day ever!" Don't you love to hear that from your kids??  I heard it over and over again yesterday during our SCI FRI.  We've been studying living and nonliving things all week and ended the week with our comparison of gummy and earth worms.  The kids couldn't believe that I actually had live worms for them in the classroom!!  You should have heard the squeals as I uncovered them!!  Delightful for some and a little freaky for others!  I put the kids into groups and they went to work comparing the two specimens.  So much fun learning!!














Look at the heart shape this little worm made for us!!
We heart worms and worms heart us!!

You can get worms from any pet shop or WalMart.

Next week we will compare what living things need to survive, culminating with the hands on visual creation...pet rocks!!










What a great week back!! Thanks kids!!  Your enthusiasm for learning helps me want to do more for you!!! 

Thanks for stopping by our little Window On Wonder!!  We love visitors and comments, so don't leave without leaving a quick comment!!
Have a great weekend!!
Joyfully!
Nancy




9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how FUN!! This makes me want to change my lesson plans for the week - but for lack of time, I will have to incorporate this in my lesson plans in the very near future! Thank you for always sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I just love it! Thanks for sharing. Question: What did you do with the worms after the lesson? LOL I live in canada - it's cold outside - not sure how to dispose of the worms. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista,
      We took the worms outside. It was a lovely rainy day and they loved it! You can just refrigerate them until the weather permits you to return them to nature!! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip!! :)

      Delete
  4. You make science learning SO MUCH FUN in first grade! Nancy, you are a genius! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It's a great little unit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great ideas, Nancy. I am on Summer holidays here in Australia at present but I am going to save these activities to do when we return to school.
    Your blog is a source of inspiration. Thanks for all the great ideas and activities you share.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!