Saturday, December 6, 2014

Here Comes That Jolly Fella!

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for stopping by this little Window on Wonder!  I love this time of year with my little firsties!! The wonder in their eyes is magical. I try to incorporate a lot of this magic into their learning. We started off the week reading Santa's Stuck by Rhonda Greene.  We also discovered a couple of related books to compare and contrast, Santa Gets Stuck by Campbell Books and Are You Grumpy, Santa? by Greg and Evan Spiridellis.


We brainstormed ways to help Santa if he were to get stuck in our chimney!


Love the "Call 911" as a last resort!!

Then we got busy with our written expression and hands on visual expression.  I have posted this visual in years past, (and the patterns are in our Santa's Stuck unit, but this year, because of one of the illustrations in the "Are You Grumpy, Santa?" book, we added a tush!!  :) They turned out great!!





I really think the kids are going to leave Santa a healthy snack on Christmas Eve.

Next week in writing, we are going to focus on adding adjectives to our drafts. I put together an ultra mini unit based on the song, "Must Be Santa." We will discover how adjectives make our writing more clear for our readers. We will go back into some of our older pieces and add adjectives where we can.  We will also make this cute little Santa based on the song and include some of the adjectives in the lyrics!!











I can't wait for next week!
If you would like the printable unit on adjectives,



I have so much more to share with you, but whoa! I have a ton of stuff to do to get ready for the holidays at home!!! Have a wonder-filled weekend and don't forget to stop and enjoy that wonder!!
Joyfully!
Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!