Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April Adverb Adventure

Hello Everyone!
I hope you are all having a good week so far!  This week in writing along with "showing, not telling," we are also working on adding adverbs to make our good writing even better! I had the kids close their eyes and I gave them the sentence, "The fish swam." Then they had to describe the picture they had in their head. All the pictures were different!  Then I gave them the sentence,
 "The mama fish swam quickly upstream after laying her eggs." (We are studying the life cycle of fish this week!) The kids described their visualization and were so much closer in what they "saw." Adverbs are a way to revise writing to make our stories more clear for our readers! We want to make our good writing even better!
 We brainstormed three different kinds of simple adverbs. 


Then the kids got busy creating and building their own sentences full of adverbs.  A quote from one of my little cuties, "I just love doing this! I can't wait to use adverbs in my draft book writing!" 





They were so proud of their 15+ word sentences!!
  I was too!!!

I did create a little unit (of course) just to keep me organized and on track. Here are a few pics.












Unit includes nouns, verbs and adverbs. The kids know how to add adjectives. 


OK! Gotta run!! Working on some decor for our school's 10 year birthday party!! It's going to be spectacular!!
Have a great rest of the week!!
Don't be shy! Leave a comment!  Your words make me want to be better!
Joyfully!
Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!